Most Wanted

A pretty easy call this week, even though there were an unprecedented three Joss Whedon books. And although I'm really itching to tear into Buffy, Astonishing X-Men and Runaways, this week had the penultimate ending chapter to our spiffy little year-long ride. And as far as anticipating a book goes, I gotta admit, I was really looking forward to this one.

52 #52
Writer: Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Mark Waid
Artists: Mike McKone, Justiniano, Eddy Barrows, Chris Batista, Pat Olliffe, Darick Robertson
Breakdowns: Keith Giffen

Has it been a year already? Doesn't feel like it. And with all the dangling plot threads I could identify that were left after #51, it doesn't seem like this could be the last issue. This issue really tries to seal them all up, though. Actually, that's almost all it does - tie up loose ends. And it does a pretty good job, all told - no small feat given all it had to accomplish. Let's tackle some of them, hopefully without to much spoilerage:

- I'm a big fan of the multiverse idea. Thank you DC, for bringing it back. It just ...fits... with the DC universe. And to bring it back in a way that actually works - and in a way that makes even more sense than the way it was originally eliminated? Excellent job.

- Didn't see that one coming. At all. Though I should have. Nicely done.

- And the new universes?!? Holy Moly! We get a tour through a bunch of them and I gotta tell you.. Wow! *Applause!!* Well done, sirs! I'm astonished at how good of a set-up this is. A perfect separation of franchises and characters.

- Booster and Beetle. "Bwa-Hahaha!" Thank you. And this room is a little dusty. *sniff*

- The evolved Mr. Mind is hideous, design-wise. But now I know why ... sorta. Makes sense, but he's still damn ugly.

- Damn dust. *sniff*

- That's some hideous reaction shot artwork there. Ug. It really sticks out on what is otherwise one of the stronger issues of 52, art-wise.

- What an incredibly sappy way to resolve the ending for a pair of beloved characters. Then again, why am I so happy to see it? Damn dust. *sniff*

- I'm a huge Vic Sage / Question fan, and I was not looking forward to this issue almost because of his subplot's resolution alone. But, honestly? After actually reading this issue? Montoya's going to be fine in the role. But I think I wouldn't feel the same way if I didn't see the Most Wanted Panel (below).

Wow. I am completely satisfied. I didn't think they could do it. Any of it. From the beginning. That was one heck of a wrap-up issue.. in fact, I can't think of another example offhand that did it better... or had more to have to deal with from the outset. This single issue has made me a lot more excited about future DC books, and that's exactly what it was supposed to do. Seriously, it changed me from being simply ambivalent towards Countdown to honestly looking forward to it. Fantastic job, for everything. Thanks, to the multitudes of writers and artists that brought us this.

...can't wait to see what the complete HC looks like...

Most Wanted Panel


Thank you, thank you, thank you! I nearly plotzed when I saw this. I do think I peed a little. Please tell me that this means we'll be seeing a book that mixes separate Montoya and Vic Question stories... Because I would totally buy that series.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Gosh, it's all over, and I feel so...empty now. But what a ride! Wasn't it nice having a happy ending for a change? More or less,anyway.

FoldedSoup said...

I couldn't have thought of a better ending. Left me all squishy inside. Impressed the heck outta me.