Most Wanted

Well, it really came down to the two issues I thought it would this week... the two that after a year's wait, both came out at the same time (I lost a bet, incidentally). I find that I'm merely curious about Mr. Miller's take on the Dark Knight. I still don't think I "get it" the way he wants me to. However, once I got Mr. Millar's last issue in my hand.... yeah, I'm reading that one first.


The Ultimates 2 #13
Writer: Mark Millar
Pencils: Bryan Hitch
Inks: Paul Neary

But first, I actually had to go and dig out my copy of #12 and re-read that first. It's been so long that I completely forgot where we left off. Turns out this is the big Loki/Thor smackdown. I can deal with that.

This issue is really a big-ass fight scene and cleanup for the next volume. And it's real pretty. I can completely understand why (if this is indeed the case) Hitch took his time with this one. The amount of detail is incredible. There are pages here that must've taken weeks to draw. Good, good stuff.

Millar's really an on-again / off-again writer for me. But, I believe he's at his best when he gets to write as if it's a big-budget summer blockbuster movie and he gets to make it all up from the beginning. Which is, of course, exactly what The Ultimates lets him do. If this thing was filmed, it would cost billions. The over-the-top destruction works really well here. And because he's basically able to re-design the characters, he can make them fit in this world and not have to shoe-horn them into a pre-designed plot role, as I think he had to do with Civil War. This is Millar's Thor, Hawkeye, Cap and the gang, and they work in this context. His Loki in particular is great, and quite the threat. As he should be. Why limit him, as writers have to do in the main Marvel U - he's a friggin' God, for Pete's sake!

(By the way, was it just me, or were there some really subtle tongue in cheek Civil War references buried in this? Re-read Tony's later dialog bits and see if you agree.)

Great action comic, and a fantastic way to end the series. Both of them were great. I'm really on the fence about getting volume 3, but this one left a good enough taste in my mouth that I'll certainly check it out. Millar pretty much handed it over on a silver platter to the next team.

Much Wanted Panel:

(You know which one. But no way am I going to try and scan that massive centerfold spread. But, I am going to buy another copy of this issue so I can yank that whole thing out and find a way to frame it. Gonna need a long frame, though....)

1 comment:

SallyP said...

I know what you mean. I had to go back and reread the last issue too. But gosh, wasn't Thor pretty? And Loki too, in a weird sort of way.

Natasha got what was coming to her, and it's comforting to know that Tony Stark is a jerk no matter WHAT universe he's living in. I still miss Jarvis though.